Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: external vs internal optical drives

Hi Peter,

When you say your current drive sucks, in what way? Is it very slow in EAC? Failure to rip some discs without errors? Noisy?

I have heard that EAC will bomb with some external USB CD-RW drives, so that may not be a good way to go. If it's fast ripping speed you want, the fastest drives for ripping in EAC secure mode are those that do not cache audio data when ripping. The LG-4167B does not cache, and it will rip a disc in EAC secure mode at an average of 24x across the disc. However, its error correction is slightly below average, so it will have problems ripping scratched discs without errors. The NEC 3540 does not cache, and I believe it will rip at an average of something like 22x in EAC secure mode. Its error correction is better than that of the LG. It's no longer made, but the 3550 is its successor and is probably very similar. That's the one I'd recommend, unless you absolutely insist on the best error correction possible.

For excellent error correction, Plextor is always a good choice. You might only get 5x-10x ripping speeds in EAC secure mode though. If you have a very big collection to rip, this can make the task much slower.

My own system has two CD drives. I use the LG 4167B for fastest ripping. If I have a problem ripping a disc (pretty rare), I have a Plextor that I use as a fallback.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.