Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Don't think Squeezebox is in danger

Laptops are marvelous and they are indeed getting cheaper but I doubt they'll be a major factor in any competitive pricing changes that Slim Devices makes.

Laptop computers are designed for computer tasks - typing, mouse use, display of info on screen, etc. While they will certainly do what you say they will in the music delivery department that is not the focus of their design.

It reminds me of those "7 in 1" tools with screw driver, hammer, pliers, etc. They work, but are hardly as convenient as the proper tool dedicated for each job.

The Squeezebox is small, good looking, unobtrusive, has a remote control and responds well to remote power-on from the server software. Unlike a laptop, the analog output from the Squeezebox is also quite good - actually much better than one would expect.

Squeezebox has competition and I'd bet they are going to get more in the future, but I don't think cheap laptops are going to be a thorn in their side, save a small minority of hobbyist types.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Don't think Squeezebox is in danger - mls-stl 11:22:02 08/31/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.