Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Firewire: jitter-resistant or clock-quality-dependant?

Hello

I got a question about jitter & quality of the clocks, that are built into a computer. I know, how much you can improve a CD-player's performance by upgrading its clock with a good & stable one (TENT clock for example). Does this also apply to computers? Is there an upgradeable clock-circuit somewhere on the board?
Let's go a bit further: I can imagine, that the computer's clock does have immediate effects on the built-in soundcard and it's SPDIF-performance.
But what happens, if I use ASIO-drivers and an external FireWire DAC with an excellent clock? To be able to play back the different formats my files have (from 44.1/16 to 192/24), I must set my DAC in slave-mode. As far as I understand that very DACs concept (RME Fireface) it has an ultrastable clock and it reduces jitter by processing the incoming signal.
So my questions are:
- when I connect my computer via Firewire, can I slave my computer to the DACs ultrastable (master)clock instead of having to slave the DAC to the computer?
- does ASIO / FireWire make use / is influenced in any way of/by the quality of the computer's clock?
- can I upgrade the computer's clock in any way?
- or am I fine off, since I use Firewire?

Thanks
Joerg

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Firewire: jitter-resistant or clock-quality-dependant? - jwitzsch 00:14:08 08/31/06 (10)

You can not post to an archived thread.