Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: PC audio, Do they make

Lucky, your budget allows for "sky is the limit" DIY type of machine (I have built a competent PC transport for $750, can you imagine what you can build for $3000-5000). Or you can opt for boutique off the shelf models.

Check VRS AUDIO, some other builder. Also, check REVOX.

One way or another, you will have to arm yourself with knowledge to prevent anyone from taking advantage of you. I have seen some $3000 servers with ridiculous low specs - total rip off behind well known audiophile brand.

I would recommend that you consider the entire system as two piece kit:

1. Backoffice machine - robust file server (tower case, at least 500W power supply) Any PC will do, even ugly one. Keep it in your basement, under the stairs or elsewhere - ethernet cable can be up to 300ft long. Consider making back up copy of all your drives and keep them off-site, e.g. in your bank safe deposit box.

Avoid using external USB hard drives - they are not reliable in the long run.

2. Player PC (in listening room)- it is connected to file server and pulls the files from there. Your budget allows for completely silent PC.

Alternativelly, desktop form factor PC can store 2 or 3 high capacity drives. The biggest right now is 750GB, 1000GB is expected by the fall this year. having multiple hard drives in a minitower is not advisable because of the noise.

3. Basic network to connect 1 and 2. (NO ACCESS TO INTERNET to prevent data corruption, viruses etc.)

For your data storage requirement calculation:

1. Do not overfill hard drives - fill up to 80% of storage capacity.
That means, 750GB is good for safely storing 600GB of data.

600GB translates to 900 uncompressed CDs or 1500 lossless CDs or 100-150 feature length movies in DVD format.

2. For backing up purposes consider doubling of needed capacity.

3. Always buy more of storage, you will need it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: PC audio, Do they make - bobp 21:49:23 08/28/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.