Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Weee! :)

> Hey, if you quack like a duck ...

Um, OK...

> You do realise, don't you, that kernel streaming is *part* of WDM

Of course. So what? waveOut resamples, kernel streaming doesn't. Same driver model, two different interfaces. Tack on DirectSound and the windows media player interfaces on top of that. Kernel streaming is the least damaging of all of them, and what I'm assuming most people using foobar2000 are using (that or ASIO.) So how is another process degrading the sound by (attempting) to open the audio device?

> Measure it whilst the CPU is relatively idle, vs heavily utilized. Do you see a difference? Have any bits been lost in either case?

Those tests are low on my list of priorities, but I'll run them when I get a chance. I've yet to hear the effects of jitter, however.

> Try doing this. Take any source material in 44.1kHz, resample to 48kHz (using your favourite resampling algorithm). Then resample back to 44.1.

Well now, that wasn't what you said in your previous post.

Of course upsampling mangles the original data, and up/down sampling is even worse. However, many on this board will contend that it sounds better when done properly. I could care less, 44.1KHz sounds fine to me.

> You do realise of course that "enterprise java programming" is an oxymoron? :-)

It is when poorly implemented, same as any other "enterprisey" language.

> Actually, no - don't confuse your background with mine. :-)

Actually I'm more accustomed to low level '64 programming. The SID was a thing of beauty...

/*Music is subjective. Sound is not.*/

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Weee! :) - jbmcb 19:29:08 08/27/06 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.