Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Weee! :)

*** Well now that's a bit presumptuous. ***

Hey, if you quack like a duck ...

*** How often do you see this? ***

At least once. Remember, in order to disprove your "contention", all I need is *one* counterexample. Which I have provided.

*** I've done loads of long-term testing playing audio files with kernel streaming, with bit-perfect results (comparing lossless file decompressors into a virtual soundcard) WDM will mess with your output, though I haven't seen any conclusive evidence that it's readily audiable. ***

You do realise, don't you, that kernel streaming is *part* of WDM, so your statements are contradictory (I think i know what you are trying to say, though)

*** C'mon, if the PCI bus is so laggy that it's draining the buffer of your sound card (probably the slowest device on the bus), you'll be noticing some effects other than degraded sound. Probably crashing, as PIO requests from other devices on the southbridge queue up and pound the memory controller. ***

Well, what can I say? Your analysis is way too simplistic. Hint: measure the jitter output from your soundcard (using a variant of Julian Dunn's J-test). Measure it whilst the CPU is relatively idle, vs heavily utilized. Do you see a difference? Have any bits been lost in either case? What do you think accounts for the difference?

*** 44.1KHz being resampled to 48KHz WILL result in a degradation of sound? That's an interesting contention. ***

Try doing this. Take any source material in 44.1kHz, resample to 48kHz (using your favourite resampling algorithm). Then resample back to 44.1.

If the process was truly lossless (ie. no degradation in sound), you should get back exactly what you started with - bit for bit (or at least, close enough, accounting for quantization error).

Do you? Hint - have a look at behaviour for frequencies close to Nyquist.

The whole notion that resampling is somehow "transparent" or "lossless" is one of the great myths of digital audio.

*** Ever deal with enterprise java programming? :) ***

Not me, personally, as I've said a lot of my hands on stuff is well over twenty years ago. However, my team was responsible for doing some interesting stuff on services oriented architecture which i have presented in several conferences around the world (we do have a patent for the specific application though).

You do realise of course that "enterprise java programming" is an oxymoron? :-)

*** Yep, I miss DOS, too. ***

Actually, no - don't confuse your background with mine. :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Weee! :) - Christine Tham 17:43:27 08/27/06 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.