Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: I'm confused

Hello

sorry if I should have confused you and other readers.
I am ripping in secure mode, of course. What I was talking about, was not the ripping speed, but the DRIVE speed you can set in "drive options".
What I noticed was only a (possible) behaviour of the error correction and/or the ability to read a CD without errors.

In the drive options, you can either allow the drive to spin at max. speed or set a certain, let's call it, speed limit.
When EAC extracts data from the CD (that's how I understood that option), it reads a certain portion of the disc as long until EAC is convinced it has captured the data without any errors. If this is not possible at the maximum drive speed set in "drive options", the disc is spun down (even to 1x or less drive speed) until the data is captured, or error correction jumps in or EAC gives up on that portion.
So, as far as I understood it: when the speed option is set to max., EAC uses the max. drive speed of your drive as long as possible. If drive options are set to 12x, EAC initially lets the drive spin with a max. drive speed of 12x.
On the other hand, you can imagine, that a drive-speed of let's say 40 (again: the drive itself spins with 40x, I am not talking about extraction speed!) may cause the laser to loose focus or jump out of the "groove". That's why I imagined, that a lower drive speed in options (let's say 12x) would make work easier for the laser pickup to follow excentricities, refocus on the pits etc., since the CD spins slower. It's like driving: following a small lane with 40 mph is easier than with 100 mph...
But the red error correction dots show more activity with lower drive speeds than with max. speed. That's, what my question was about...
Sorry again, if I may have caused confusion. I hope, my answer has clarified my point and question.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.