Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Yeah, isn't it amazing

I remember the Apple II had an operating system (the Apple Monitor) that fits into 2K.

By contrast, I rewrote the operating system for the Commodore 64 when I was a kid, borrowing a lot of the concepts from the Apple II, and it fits into 4K.

Here's a bit of interesting trivia: the current Apple MacOS is based on the Mach "micro-kernel" (there was quite a lot of research into distributed operating systems in the 80s, and micro-kernels came out of there) - but the Mach "micro-kernel" is far larger than the completely monolithic statically linked Unix V7 kernel :-)

A lot of the bloat is intentional though, because cheap memory allows you to have algorithms that are memory intensive but computationally cheap. Eg. my paper on Unix password decryption, rather than than doing the DES algorithm step by step, it's far easier to look up a 4MB precomputed table.

A lot of implementations these days do something similar, precompute, and use a lookup table. However, this causes large code.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.