Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Some advice

Start up the computer and uninstall Windows Media Player
You can get the version of Media Player you HAD from www.oldversion.com

Once you get media player working, I would get ALL the latest windows updates and run norton system works to check for windows problems (if you have norton).

Once you do the windows updates, you might find that updating windows media player will work.

If it still does not work, try start->run->dxdiag
On the main (system) page it should tell you your direct x version. You should have 9.0b or 9.0c. If not, update direct x here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.mspx

Failing that, I would give up and revert back to the version of media player that you HAD.

I usually avoid a)using media player and b)updating it. Windows Media Player "talks too much" - it's a privacy issue to me. It also has the most DRM (digital rights management) stuff built into it. I manage copyright MYSELF by purchasing my music legally and making one (legal) copy to my PC for playback, leaving the original on the shelf for archival purposes. If that does not please the RIAA they can collectively kiss my hairy ass. I don't need software "managing" digital rights for me with silent "ET Phone Home" software searching cyberspace for licenses and God knows what else.

I prefer to use either WinDVD or PowerDVD for DVD playback, and Foobar for 2 channel playback, and EAC for extraction of CD audio music to copy to my audio playback drive.

I turned my ex onto Foobar and she does not use media player anymore.

"Foobar sounds better" she says.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Some advice - Presto 11:50:33 08/22/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.