Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: Maybe this is what he means .....

The 1K resistor was Ralph's idea a long time ago; he drew the schematic for my amplifiers about 10 years ago, and the 1K resistor is right in there. My amps, which I built in the late 90's, have the 1K resistor. What's novel is the idea of "bypassing" the resistor (or whatever) with a cap. Also, since .86uF is not a standard cap value, I am betting that he meant to write ".68uF", which IS a standard cap value. But I want to hear more from Tubevibb.

As to why this needs to be a 10W resistor, I don't know for sure and won't until I dig up the schematic and think about it. You are quite correct that under steady-state (DC) conditions with no signal applied, there is no voltage dropped across this resistor (I once measured it to satisfy myself), so obviously you don't need a high wattage in that condition. But it may be that under AC conditions, an AC potential can develop, but don't quote me til I look at the schematic. Maybe Tre' knows the answer with no further research necessary on my part.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.