Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

less is more

Chalk this up to the FWIW column. Roughly a couple of years ago several upgrades were recommended/became available for M60s (possibly the Mk. II.3 package, I can't recall for sure). Among the items offered was increased storage capacitance. I decided to implement this change and, following contact with Atmasphere, had it done locally by a qualified tech who is the marquis name on a nationally distributed brand of cables and power conditioners.

My reaction to the change was one of ambivalence. It seemed the amps had slowed down some but, otherwise, things were mostly status quo. So back to the tech to fit some bypass capacitors in the hope of restoring the lost speed. Again, results were a mixed bag.

Fast forward to the present. I just got the amps back from the same tech. They have been restored to original condition (added capacitors have been pulled). Well, that old black magic is back in spades...increased purity and transparency and (whodda thunkit) noticably more defined and impactful bass. It's a keeper!

My speakers are 102db sensitive AG Duos and I think this is key to the reason this changeback worked for me. I'm no electronics guru by any stretch but it just seems that the extra storage capacitance was not needed in my case and tended to lend a certain thickening to the overall presentation, almost like what adding an output tranny would be expected to do.

So the message is, if you have high sensitivity speakers, you might want to investigate this relatively quick and easy mod. It's simple to reverse it if it turns out to be not your cuppa.

Thank you, class, for letting me share my 7th grade science project with you all.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - less is more - acres verde 11:44:30 09/08/06 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.