Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: If so,...my understanding is that an array with....

...more than just two or three elements (two fullranges with a tweeter in between or on top, all in a vertical line, is a common proven design)...but an array with a serious number of drivers can be a real problem if it has crossover networks - just too much interaction between the electronics of the network, the sound waves in the cabinet, and the comb filtering nodal effect in the room.....so the rule I was told was only use full range drivers and they all gotta be exactly the same, and it's better to curve the front surface slightly instead of a flat plane. Sooner or later, i AM going to build the vertical array I have EIGHT fullrange drivers for, with a curved front surface (actually, I'm going to try a double-curve), and the cabinet internally rear folded horn loaded. Whew!! We'll see. It'll be great, lousy, or somewhere in between, but at least I'll have learned something. :) BTW, I plan to drive it with the 813 that is also slowly in process...... :)
"It ain't a comeback until it's left the shop" Jimmy Dunne, the first man to drive a VW Beetle faster than 200 mph, and he has the forehead scar to prove it; I will always honor him for taking a chance on me when I wanted to be an engine mechanic.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: If so,...my understanding is that an array with.... - radiance 20:56:19 06/22/06 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.