Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Loadings resistors in M60

Greetings
I have a pair of the orginal M60 amps which I built from kits. They have most of the upgrades plus mods. I have been reading about loading resistors. I have 4.7K resistors from the XLR to the base of the tube (I think 2&4) should I change this to 1.2K. I am using a MP3 pre-amp.

Posted by Jackb0 (A) on March 24, 2006 at 04:15:40
In Reply to: Re: Input Loading for MA1 mk. III & MP3 posted by Lew on March 23, 2006 at 09:57:37:

I plan to do some listening this weekend and try some different resistor values to hear the effect.
I can already say, several distinct differences after removing them completely. As I mentioned in my other post, the sound was a little warmer and more musical. However, this was at the expense imaging, detail and most noticably the noise floor was much higher. The background has so much going on that I think it it makes you think the sound is warmer, more euphonic. After listening for a little while I realized this won't work for me.

"I started with 300 Ohms per phase (600 across 2 & 3). That was to low for the MP3. I switched to 600 per phase (1200 total) and that worked much better. That is what I have been using until I removed them completely to hear the difference."

I have also installed V-caps in my MP-3. To say the least they are the best mod. I have done to my MP-3. The sound is much more open and the piano sound more natural.
Thanks for our comments
Bryan

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Loadings resistors in M60 - bryanp 09:45:29 04/14/06 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.