Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: Question and comment on tube matching

I never paid much attention to it, but when I fire up the amps from cold (I don't leave them in Standby mode), the 6C33Cs "boil up" in about 5 minutes to the point where they are uncomfortable to touch at the base but not so hot around the top "nipples". After I apply LV, then they do seem to get hotter (so you cannot touch them at all) and perhaps do glow more a red-orange vs orange. I bias conservatively at 280 to 300mA per tube, depending upon my mood at the time I am doing the bias procedure (about once every 6 months). One other virtue of being able to bias each tube separately, I think, is that the tubes drift in unison. If I had previously set bias for each tube at 300mA (and I have installed 12-turn bias pots, so I can really dial it in), then all tubes will be down in bias by about same amount or not much at all after 6 months. I guess when I reach the point that a lot of adjustment upwards is needed, i.e., there is a marked downward drift in a 6-month period, that will mean the tubes are on the downward slope of their lifespan.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Question and comment on tube matching - Lew 09:01:58 04/12/06 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.