Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

6C33C-B & Novacron revisited

It's been a decade since Atma-Sphere produced any 6C33C-B based amps, and even then the runs were small. Approximately 24 sets of Novacron (MA-1.5) were produced, with about a third of those being sold as kits. The MA-240 is even less common, with (to my recollection) around three sets being made. These days, it's a rare event when we are called to service or support either of these models.

So, I was taken a bit off-guard when a local buyer informed me that he had purchased a set of early Novacrons (non relfected pair, both 'right' style chassis) off of eBay. I spoke with Otto at New Sensor about a new set of tubes, and was very pleased to learn that New Sensor corp. has been offering matched pairs and quads of the 6C33C-B for some time. What a relief - just matching up *pairs* of this tube from random lots was always a nightmare.

Long story short, with some basic repairs to one chassis, and two matched quads of tubes from New Sensor, these amps came right around! And what a pleasure to listen to.. it's been so long since I heard a 6C33C-B OTL that I'd forgotten what an excellent, musical tube this is. And who knows.. with a really well-matched quad, the tube life might be better than we have seen in past times. I did notice that the members of each quad appeared to be pulled from different lots - not surprising, based on our experience trying to match them. Nice work, Otto.

In any event, just wanted to share this information.. and possibly hear what kind of experiences others might have had with this tube, over the last decade. Any comments?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - 6C33C-B & Novacron revisited - Legendre 16:50:26 04/05/06 (23)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.