OTL Asylum

I've used Herbies' tube dampers for decades including on my 'old'...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ OTL Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

...M-60s. I found the greatest effect by placing them on Vs 1 and 3. I don't know what to call V2, functionally, and V4 (and probably V5, too, in your amps with five-each front-end tubes) are Cathode Followers (= impedance-lowering buffers/drivers). I never noticed any effect from the dampers of the CFs.
 photo 06Jun2011_glowing_1280w_zpsh1ioxmmp.jpg
 photo Amppad with amp_1280w_zpskiy5odz3.jpg

I have a new pair of M-60s arriving Monday, and I've been thinking more about vibration reduction. Certainly the bottoms of the bottom plates will get a layer of SoundCoat the Thicker, as the last ones did.
 photo 11Jun2011_bottom damped_1280w_zps3lmb6yzb.jpg

As you can see in one pic, I used a steel block to mass-load the top plate between the front-end (FE) tubes; can't say I heard that do anything. But I'm also pricing blocks of custom-cut metal--copper, brass, or nonmagnetic stainlesssteel...

http://www.cut2sizemetals.com/copper/rectangular-bar/kbr/

...mounted with Herbies' 'grungbuster' vibration-absorbing pads...

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/gb.htm

...to place on the top plate. The new amps are Mk.3.3s with the FE tubes mounted in a 'T', while my last ones were Mk.2 chassis with the four tubes mounted in a square, so I don't know exactly what size I'll order, but they'll be 3/4" or 1" thick and two or 2-1/2" wide. I'll buy eight (four per amp) and place two near the FE tubes and one on edge between each column of output tubes. Steve Herbelin's comment that 'damping 1/2 of the tubes will more than likely get you 90% of the gain you may achieve by damping all of the tubes' makes sense to me, and I might try that.

On cable dampers, I'd be more inclined to put Herbies dampers on RCA jacks IF they're tubular metal.
 photo 2015Oct06_Neotec 1002s w KLEs at Oppo_1800w_zpsfseu2akx.jpg
Here they're on plastic barrels because I already had them.

As I wrote above, I'm getting more serious about reducing nervous-making vibration, so more pics later.
----------
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

Edits: 04/08/16   04/08/16   04/08/16

Follow Ups: