OTL Asylum

RE: If you are dealing with fragile drivers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ OTL Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Well, they're not fragile; being B-G mag-planar drivers, they simply can't be replaced, new at least, as B-G's new foreign owners decided to stop making them.

Of course the tweeter has its high-pass filter in the x-over, but the MR doesn't. I remember asking GR Research's Danny Ritchey, the designer of the speakers, what filter point I should use on a high-pass filter with the 8- and 50-Watt amps I had at the time. We went back and forth with him answering every number I offered to him (as in 200Hz? 100Hz? 50Hz? 25Hz? None at all?) with an 'OK'. I believe he then said something like my low-power amps were not able to overdrive the panels, so it didn't much matter.

So with each 10" MR driver rated at least 75 Watts power handling by the most-conservative method...
http://gr-research.com/pdf/Neo10.pdf
...the four of them will handle 300 Watts, so I'll NOT be adding a new series cap between the amp and the x-over.

TYVM for your help.
----------
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

Follow Ups: