OTL Asylum

One interesting thing....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ OTL Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

SO i put the backplate with the "damaged" panel...and it sounds quite alright, the modded backplate is with the other panel and it is just fine, quite a bit more dynamic and open sounding, but the two sides together are listenable and no rattling distortion is noticeable....If i swap the backplates, and the modded (no resistor) backplate drives the "damaged" panel then the sound is quite distorted from that panel. SO it still puzzles me what would the resistor across the toroid do to eliminate most of the distortion? Does it somehow dampen the diaphragm? preventing it to slap against the stators? Really strange. I am trying to recollect everything i learned about electrostatic fields and forces, but cannot come up with a good explanation. Maybe the fact that the membrane really sees about 8K across the secondary of the toroid when when the 8ohm resistor is in place and infinity when not, allows it to move more freely and the tear can actually be more independent from the rest of the membrane...I do not know, but trust me you would be sitting here scratching all your hair follicles if you were sitting here listening to the panel with the resistor in and out. with the resistor out it is unlistenable, with the resistor in, you can drive it quite hard before it starts to distort. I am listening to it right now, the system probably plays around 80 - 85 DB and no buzzing .

dee
;-D

True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.

quote by Kurt Vonnegut

Follow Ups: