Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

BEST-EVER-sounding music system this WE

Every once in a while--maybe once per year, when the sun and the moon and all the other planets and stars...and my nasal congestion...and my hearingaids, etc., are aligned--I find that my music-reproduction system sounds better than ever.. This Saturday evening, it happened again, and I have to write that the system sounded better than it EVER has in about 65 years of being an audiofool.. The music was Edward Elgar's Organ Sonata, o. 28 (orchestrated by Gordon Jacobs), Richard Hickox conducting the BBC National O. of Wales, recorded by Chandos (in multichannel, of course) and released on SACD CHSA 5049.. BEST...EVER.

Frontend is still an Oppo '203 discplayer driving via HDMI my Marantz '8805 pre/pro. Mid-fi frontend? Maybe.. Backend is still the Serenity Super-7s with their humble AQ GO-4 speakercables.

Changes in my system from the last best-ever event? Surely the biggest difference is the return of my Atma-Sphere MA-1 v.3.1 poweramps but this time with a additional main-PS bypass caps and also after replacing a few slightly noisy output tubes.* Other changes are the inclusion of AudioQuest's best interconnects, Dragon balanced (XLRs).. These 3- and 5-meter singles are quite expensive, but now I know that they're worth every penny.

I've been experimenting with several SETs recently, but I'll be selling them soon.

* I use Russian Winged-C 6H13Cs and in the frontend a mix of Tung-Sol round-plate 6SN7GTs and BRIMAR curved-plate CV1988s.

Edits: 11/29/22 12/04/22

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - BEST-EVER-sounding music system this WE - jeffreybehr 15:03:01 11/28/22 (14)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.