Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Just noticed this post, November 14.

This explains my failure to follow up on SLOG.
It's great to know that a similar 1:90 audio transformer is available. I had forgotten the vendor, so thank you for providing his identifiers. So far as I recall, he was located in Perth, while Will lived in either Melbourne or Sydney, the opposite coast to Perth. Anyone intrepid enough to try this modification to an SL speaker should know that some who tried it back then, using the new production 1:90 transformers, did not like their results. Those guys eventually adopted the revised toroid purchased direct from SL. I never was able to figure out why the one or two guys I am thinking of were not happy, but I did determine for myself that phasing of the two transformers (the OEM bass transformer with the AU90) is very critical. If the two driving transformers are wired out of phase, the impedance goes down the toilet, like 1-2 ohms across the board, and the sound most likely would be awful. With any amplifier. The two transformers MUST be wired in phase with each other.

Edits: 11/14/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Just noticed this post, November 14. - Lew 10:41:31 11/14/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.