Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: I think I can help here....

Hi Lew,

Good to see your post and thanks for giving the background on how the AU90 transformer came to be used in SoundLab ESLs.

Unfortunately the archives were not carried over to the new SLOG site. Site owner Mark Gilmore indicated when the the new site came into being that he would try and attempt to port the archives over but up to this point that has not happened. There recently has been renewed discussion about the AU90's and it would be great if you could post your response over on SLOG to give the newer members historical context.

BTW, I have lately been in contact with Rob Mackinlay of ER Audio about his 1:90 audio transformers compared to the AU90s previously supplied, his response was:

"The 1:90 xfmrs on our website are electrically much the same as the ones we supplied previously to the SL Owners group. Externally they look different as they don't have the connector block across the top and the plastic mounting flanges but essentially they are the same. We use two of these in our ESL IV full range ESL wired parallel series to give a turns ratio of 1:180. In this speaker they are mounted on a "drop through" board, much like the output transformer on a tube amp, so the original mounting hardware is not required.

If they are used in a Sound Lab speaker, mounting brackets would need to be added."

So effectively a suitable equivalent transformer is still available for those interested in modifying their SoundLabs.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.