Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: SoundLab transformer MOD

Hello,

I recently purchased a very unique pair of Soundlab speakers that are of a hybrid design, and I believe the only pair made. They consist of a panel for the highs and the mids, and a separate section with a conventional woofer for the lows. The pair are similar to the old dynasty series, but with bigger panels, and a 12 inch woofer for better performance. According to the factory, they were built sometime around 2000-2005, and were custom made for the original owner.

After several hours of listening, I am quite taken with the level of transparency these speakers have and life like scale they present to the listener. The highs are incredibly smooth, and bass response goes quite low. However, there is one major flaw to the sound that I hope can be alleviated. There seems to be a upper midrange suckout, or lack of detail in the upper bass. This is a problem for me because in my view the bass is the very foundation of the music and if lacking in any way, makes the music fatiguing to listen to.

I'm resurrecting this thread in hopes that some of the mods mentioned here might help, and perhaps make the speakers an easier load for my Ma-1's.
Also, I must mention I have a whole lot to learn about what's going on in this speaker, and electronics in general, and hope for some guidance with this project. Attached is a diagram that I made, using a older version I found online, but modified to show how these hybrids are setup.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: SoundLab transformer MOD - Flitchcut 12:53:30 06/03/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.