Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

I've been enjoying my first OTL amp over this long weekend-

And it's been a real ear-opener. I was lucky enough to acquire an 1212 Designs (Craig Merz) OTL-20 amplifier from another member here recently. It's a stout, hand built unit employing 20x 6AS7G's for an output of 100 WPC @ 8 ohms.

After I first received it, I hooked up my "test" speakers- a pair of those infamous cheap Insignias that were all the rage a few years back- and when the music started, I just kept going. Those darn things sounded VERY musical, and were doing things that they really shouldn't have been. Speed and openness, solid bass... well, you guys know. I am really digging this amp. I'm playing it now with my KEF LS50's. I'd like to eventually pair it with my 'stat panels, and will likely need an autoformer for that.

Never leaving well enough alone, I already replaced the (eek...) polyester coupling caps and (yikes...) carbon comp signal resistors, bypassed some electrolytics and a couple other minor mods.

This will be an amp I'll appreciate and enjoy for a long time, it's just so natural. Well, that's of my electric bill doesn't go up *too* much ;-)

Cory

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - I've been enjoying my first OTL amp over this long weekend- - Cory M. 18:38:06 05/27/19 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.