Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Is it advisable to use a Berning amp in a high RFI zone ?

I am not entirely sure of this, but as I understand it, modern Berning amplifiers, which is to say current ones, do use a switching type PS. This would mean there is a chance that the amplifier itself would generate RFI. Thus, it would be wise to place the amplifier at some safe distance from other electronics in the system. Long ago, a local friend of mine was using a very early Berning amplifier with an Audible Illusions Modulus preamplifier, and we could hear a clicking sound on his speakers, until he separated the amplifier from the preamplifier by a few feet. However, this potential issue would not make any difference as regards other sources of RFI, so far as I know. Further, in practice I know of no instance where the ZH270 and its ilk have been shown to be the source of any problems of this type. In the past year, I played with a ZH270 in my own system, albeit where the amp and preamp are separated by 20 feet, and it was dead silent. David Berning is a very smart guy, and he is well aware of these issues; I am sure that his designs take all such problems into account, therefore. For sure, there is nothing about the ZH270, ZH230, etc, that make them particularly sensitive to external sources of RFI. In other words, forgeddaboudit.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Is it advisable to use a Berning amp in a high RFI zone ? - Lew 12:09:02 09/12/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.