Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Amp Footers and how to use them

Points and squishys have their uses!

Generally points are used when you want to move vibration away from whatever is resting on the points. This is an old concept- the table for my LP mastering lathe, which was made in the late 1940s, employs points. So audiophiles are not making that idea up!!

Squishys are used when you want to isolate the device from vibration that might be around it. Again this idea is very old- Ampex used special isolation grommets on their tube sockets decades ago for this reason.

Its up to you to sort out if the surface on which you place your amp or preamp is going to be more or less dead than the unit itself. If more dead, as in the case of an isolation platform, use points. If less dead, as in a wooden shelf that might be part of some non-audiophile furniture, use squishys.

Points that can relieve side to side vibration without impairing vertical vibration will be superior in most cases to points that lack this ability. Examples of such are Symposium, Stillpoints and Aurios.

If you are using an equipment stand, it should be dead and non-resonant! At least one stand we know of from a well-known points manufacturer is highly resonant and makes things worse instead of better. Generally if you can tap on the stand and hear it through the speaker that is a bad thing. Sound Anchors and SRA are examples of two stands that can be quite dead.

My installation at home uses a Sound Anchors stand mounted on three Aurios Pro bearings which relieve side to side motion (and eliminated foot falls). The stand is custom-built to accommodate my preamp and turntable, both of which are perched on isolation platforms (and employing squishys between the platforms and the stand itself).

Doing these things paid off- I can play the system at really high volumes and it never sounds loud. It also helped with bass impact.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Amp Footers and how to use them - Ralph 09:48:00 04/19/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.