Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

FWIW...and I'm no quick-to-hear-the-differences GEA...

...I believe that eliminating as much vibration within the device--such as the large, RINGING-LIKE-BELLs top-and-bottom panels too many manufacturers use--should be damped to death--the death of the ringing, of course.

I recall that the transformer and bottom covers of a pair of $21K RR WAVAC 805-based SETs truly rang like bells when thumped until I damped them with SoundCoat*.
 photo 2014 Jan 12_bottomcover w SoundCoat_1200w_zpsx5o2nzi6.jpg

Here's a bottom plate of the below A-S M-60.
 photo 11Jun2011_bottom damped_1280w_zps3lmb6yzb.jpg

I also use Herbies' tube-damping rings.
 photo Amppad with amp_1280w_zpskiy5odz3.jpg

For my new, on-the-way pair of M-60 Mk.3.3s, probably I'll buy a set of large rings for the top of every output tube.

Then the electronics should be isolated from the vibrations of the equipment cabinet or floor; I've been using Herbies' TenderFoots** for that, but see also http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tweaks/messages/20/200517.html for VERY inexpensive antivibration pads.

These are my opinions, of course, but every time I add damping to my equipment, the sound is smoother--more relaxing and more like real music--AND more resolved.

* I use SoundCoat the Thicker...
http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/soundcoat-gp-p-4620
...for that, and it works better than, say, one or two layers of Dynamat Extreme...and of course one wouldn't want to get the latter's butyl-based layer and aluminum-foil backing...anywhere near any panel that gets too hot to touch with the backs of one's fingers. :-(

** 'Tenderfoot' is a trademark of Herbies' for his equipment feet. I've never seen him use the plural form 'Tenderfeet', so 'Tenderfoots' it is!

Edits: 03/20/16 03/20/16 03/20/16 03/23/16 03/28/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • FWIW...and I'm no quick-to-hear-the-differences GEA... - jeffreybehr 16:28:17 03/20/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.