Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Something to watch for

Aside from decent efficiency and an impedance curve that doesn't dip too low, a fairly smooth impedance curve is desirable. Assuming the speakers were voiced on solid state amps (most are), be aware that an OTL amp will be a bit louder where the impedance is high, and a bit softer where the impedance is low.

This is NOT a "fault" of the OTL amp - we could point out that, relative to tube amps in general, a solid state amp is louder where the impedance curve dips, and softer where the impedance curve is high.

(If you ever read where someone tried an OTL amp and their speakers sounded worse, the culprit was a poor job of matching speakers with amp.)

Okay, on to the thing you might want to watch for: A frequency response curve that zigs where the impedance curve zags. In such a case, an OTL amp will probably result in a more natural-sounding frequency response (in addition to its other benefits).

The Silverline Audio Bolero is an example of such a speaker, note how its frequency response curve zigs (Chart 1) where its impedance curve zags (Chart 4) at the link below. Even though this speaker's impedance curve goes a bit lower than we'd like, I'd expect it to still work well with most OTL amps.

Duke

Me being a dealer makes you leery?? It gets worse... I'm a manufacturer too.

Edits: 08/23/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Something to watch for - Duke 23:33:25 08/23/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.