Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: NYAL OTL3 meter

I took my amplifiers in to Roger Modjeski on Monday and got them back yesterday. He tested them carefully, looking at the output tubes, meters, and capacitors. The output tubes on the misbehaving amplifier were in dire need of replacement; the other amplifier performed and measured well. I had a spare set of matched tubes I had bought from him some years back, and he put those into the bad amplifier. Those tubes matched extraordinary well, but he said the old tubes in the other amp were good enough. He readjusted everything on both amps and says they both perform well now. Rough specs: 115 watts into 16 ohms with less than .1% distortion. (I don't have frequency plots or much more detail). He said the old capacitors are still fine too. He made a clever set of probes to help safely access the closely-spaced testing points, which he said are otherwise very convenient.

Haven't had time to do that much listening yet, just a couple of hours with CD's (my tonearm needs tweaking), but I must say the system sounds incredibly magnificent. It is astonishing how long these amplifiers have lasted. I think the good amp got retubed once, and the other one never, since the eighties. I am incredibly lucky to have these amplifiers, and also that Roger is moving up here now just when they need servicing.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: NYAL OTL3 meter - airheadair 08:29:45 04/17/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.