Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

I believe Julius would have called those "H3a"

Shortly after making and selling this version to a few folks on a custom basis, Julius discovered the use of photoflash caps as output coupling caps on his amplifiers. Around that time (1972) I commissioned a pair of the later model, which he called "H3aa", with about six or eight photoflash caps per chassis, mounted where that one giant can is sitting on your amplifier. Getting rid of that gigantic capacitor in favor of a gaggle of modern much smaller value, much smaller size Panasonics (for one example) will greatly improve the sonics. The big cap has to go, anyway, because of its age. See if you can get George Kaye to look at the amplifiers. He goes back to Julius directly, but I don't know if he's still active.

As of the early 70s, if you wanted a new "Futterman amplifier" you contacted Julius, sent him a deposit, and waited. Eventually, he would call you and in muted tones of an old man he would tell you your amp was ready. Which meant you made an appearance at his workshop (cannot call it a factory) on West 72nd St in NYC, off Broadway, because there was no shipping. Power transformers that Julius made himself would be hanging on a clothesline so the goop that held the windings could dry. Just smelling that smell probably shortened my lifespan. The PT is very critical and not so easy to replace; don't fire those bad boys up until someone competent has serviced them. I used my H3aa's to run two pair of KLH9s, for a glorious sound.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.