Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

"Until you compare them to equally good no feedback circuits I can imagine you don't hear the consequences.."

You wrote, "Until you compare them to equally good no feedback circuits I can imagine you don't hear the consequences.."

Right you are. 15 or 20 years ago, I encountered the Atma-sphere amplifiers. Run with no NFB, these clearly were and still are superior to even the best Futterman type amplifiers in my experience. Now, whether my preference for a circlotron output stage with no NFB to a Futterman output stage with gobs of NFB has anything to do with NFB per se, we cannot know. However, I do prefer the circlotron types, in my system, to my ears. (Not wishing to criticize the Futterman topology which still also sounds pretty great.)

I think I asked this before, but maybe not: How can an SE OTL work with no NFB and still be able to drive a real world speaker with reasonably low distortion??? I guess the answer from the company you mentioned at the start of this thread is…. use a very large number of output tubes in parallel. That requires a very robust driver stage plus a gaggle of tubes that are at least fairly well to very well matched.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.