Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: more on output impedance

We're actually in agreement on this but the term 'output impedance' as you are using it (and for that matter, most of the audio industry) is not actually the output impedance of the amp. This is why I stated

Of course, what is meant by the term 'output impedance' must then be under question

-because in most cases its really a measure of the servo gain of the feedback loop, and not an actual measure of the impedance of the output section. However, I tend to work with the Power Paradigm rules (which predate the Voltage Paradigm rules, see link below) which measure the impedance of the output section rather than the 'output impedance'. A lot of people are confused by this topic, especially if the Voltage Paradigm is their only source of the terms.

My contention is simply that the term as it is usually seen is misleading, because so many people use the concept to suggest that if you add feedback to an amplifier, its output impedance goes down therefore it can drive lower impedance loads. As you correctly point out, there is a current limit involved which was what I was referring to with Kirchoff's Law. We just have different ways of expressing it is all :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.