Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Distortion measurements with and without a smoothing cap

These measurements where taken at the speaker outputs, not the amp outputs.
These measurements are 'near field', i.e. the microphone was right in front of the midrange driver, not 1 meter away.

The first graph has a Clarity 1.2uF 630V cap across the +ve and -ve poles of the Mundorf 4-poles.
The second graph has only the Mundorf Lytics.

I was rather impressed that distortion hovers around 0.1% after 100Hz for both. Not bad.

There is an artifact at 900Hz when using the Clarity smoothing cap, but absent when the Mundorf's are doing all the work themselves. I measured a few times to make sure.

If you've read some of my other posts, you know I like to make you guys laugh. This next point intrigued me.

Two nights ago, with the Mundorf's installed, but no smoothing caps, I listened to music. I have two cats. On this evening, for the first time ever, my cats decided to join me. For three solid hours their heads where cocked, their ears where pointing straight up, and they constantly looked for the musicians. I should have taken a video.

Last night I installed the Clarity caps. Listened to music. Watched my cat's come into the room, look around, and leave. I will say it wasn't as pure a sound as the previous night.

The Mundorf's are now naked again, no smoothing caps. It will be interesting to see if my cat's join me.

This post sponsored by the animal shelters of the world. Maybe you'll rescue a cat?.

Edits: 09/13/14 09/14/14 09/14/14 09/14/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.