Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Any interest in a 32 ohm speaker?

"Drivers in series don't really work together."

That has not been my experience. I received a Golden Ear award from Robert E. Greene of The Absolute Sound, who does extensive measurements which are not included in his reviews, for a speaker that had woofers wired in series as well as tweeters wired in series.

"I've had this demonstrated both aurally and instrumentally.
I.E...
2 drivers with slightly different Fs if paralleled will
measure with Fs that is the average of the 2
BUT ..
The same 2 drivers in series will measure the 2 Fs's separately."

I did extensive measurements before using series connection, to find out for sure what happens to the T/S parameters (there are inconsistencies in the information available on the 'net from professional sources). Fs, Qms, and Qes don't change. Re and Vas both double as expected. The slight wiggle in parameters that I observed in my measurements was within the margin of error of the test equipment I was using.

And subjectively I and an associate whose ears are better than mine have both preferred series over parallel connection when we had a preference. With one beefy Class A solid state amp that he tried, to his ears the difference was inconsequential, as I recall. I think it was a Plinius. To the best of my recollection, every other test either of us have done where the amp wasn't driven into clipping, we have preferred the series connection.

Duke

Me being a dealer makes you leery?? It gets worse... I'm a manufacturer too.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.