Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

ferrite beads

Good idea. Bill Thalmann actually did that already on my Bev amps. There are four resistors that link the solid state input stage to the tube output stage. Two 1K resistors go respectively to the grids of two of the 4 output tubes (grid-stoppers). The other two are 7.5M and go to the cathodes, I think, of the bottom tubes in the totem pole arrangement. Bill put ferrite beads on the afferent leads (where the resistor leads solder to the input board and before the body of the resistors) of all 4 resistors, early on, in our attempt to quell oscillation. It definitely helped. Then I installed a shield made with TI Shield (Texas Instruments), between the input/driver board and the output stage board, in each amplifier. I really think that what may have happened with the one amp that is giving trouble is that I installed four new output tubes in that amp, which probably brings up the transconductance and enhances the tendency to oscillate. So, something more is now needed. Like I said, the other amp, still on its original tubes, does not oscillate and sounds excellent. The other thing I did that probably does not help was to bypass a 10uF electrolytic that is used as a coupling cap with a 0.1 uF teflon film cap. Possibly the electrolytic was deliberately chosen to limit bandwidth and reduce the tendency to oscillate, until I "tweaked" the circuit and thereby created problems of wide bandwidth. But as a true audiophool, I could not tolerate an electrolytic coupling cap.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.