Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Sorry I missed your earlier post.

I was liking the Klyne very much, in the Beveridge system, but then I came into possession of an Aesthetix Janus, via the estate of a close friend. Because the Janus has balanced inputs (and outputs) that could accommodate the balanced outputs of the Ayre cdp, and because of natural curiosity, I inserted it into the system in place of the Klyne. I must say also that since then I have found the remote control of the Janus to be rather addictive.

So, at this point, I have heard the vintage Quicksilver full-function preamp, the updated Klyne 6LX/P, and the Janus, all driving the Beveridge speakers and using the same sources. First of all, the Beveridges easily reveal differences among the 3 preamps. So far, I have only used one MM cartridge for analog, the Grace Ruby. My take is that the Klyne phono section may be superior to that of the Janus in most ways, especially in terms of very clean low bass. The only respect in which the Klyne falls down a bit is in terms of the sense of depth and "imaging"; with the Klyne, sometimes images seemed to hang on the speakers, instead of creating a holographic sensation in between the two Bev speakers. Both the Janus and the Klyne linestages outshine the Quicksilver linestage, IMO, but that may be because I rolled capacitors in the Q that have not had a chance to break in. The Q phono stage, with my few tweaks, is also possibly preferable to that of the Janus. All of which leads me to believe that the Janus may need new tubes in phono. The Janus linestage is superb, regardless. My sense of dissatisfaction with the Janus phono led me to try my Silvaweld MM phono stage into the Janus high level section. This combo is dynamite, what I am listening to now. I must say I did a good job messing with the Silvaweld as much as I did. I intend to go back to the Klyne at some point to dial in my thoughts better. I never dreamed I would be "inheriting" a Janus preamp when I earlier purchased the Klyne. Under the circumstances, I would much rather have my friend back.

As to the Beveridge 2SWs: They are very finicky; you have to keep at them to get the most out of them. Partly this is because of their age and partly it is the built-in complexity. That said, I love them. I know that does not tell you much. The totality of the system that I "love" includes my home-made TL woofer cabinets that house a pair of KEF B139 woofers. I built those more than 30 years ago. Driving the KEFs is a used Threshold amplifier, below 100Hz via a Dahlquist DQLP1 crossover. I cannot hear any discontinuity at the crossover point. Nor can anyone else. I guess the 845PXs give a bigger more spectacular sound but tonal balance is perhaps better with the Bevs, possibly also inner detail is more evident but maybe not. Bevs seem a tiny bit more extended in the treble. The Bevs also benefit from being in my basement. I am finding that concrete flooring is a real good basis for vinyl. Too bad the Sound Labs would never fit through the stairway to my basement.

Edits: 02/25/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.