Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: FWIW

"So, if we used batteries instead, would there be coupling caps?"

Maybe the term "coupling" is in any case not the best one to describe the role of a PS capacitor, since "coupling capacitor" carries the connotation of a capacitor between one stage of amplification and the next. The PS capacitor is in the audio path, and to that extent it has features in common with a coupling capacitor.

If batteries are used instead, then we now have the audio signal passing through them. Presumably if the batteries are essentially "ideal" (maybe like a set of car batteries in series?), they will have extremely low impedance and there will be no significant interference with the audio signal. However, given the way that passions are aroused by discussions of the pros and cons of different capacitor types, I could easily imagine analogous debates over batteries, whether Sears is better than Pep-Boys, etc., etc.!!!

I see Lew's point about whether the cathode bypass capacitors would negate the benefits of putting in cathode resistors for current-balancing purposes. My suspicion would be that any resulting unbalance for the AC audio currents would be a relatively minor issue, and the main concern is to ensure some degree of stability and balance of the quiescent DC currents through the tubes, which can be quite large and dissipate a significant amount of power. I know from my own experience that if one isn't careful, then with paralleled output tubes it can be possible for one of them to hog most of the current, and hence dissipate a lot more power than the others.

Chris

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.