Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: I'm thinking that this amp was not class A or anywhere near.

Brad, I think you are doing what all of us audiophiles are guilty of at one time or another. You've heard something in your system with the Silvaweld OTLs and you've made an observation of the meter swinging, and you are putting the two together to draw a conclusion ("OTLs cannot drive ESLs") that is not justified by any actual data. I don't know about the Silvaweld OTLs, but you cannot find a better way to drive an ESL than with an OTL, except if you can bypass the audio transformer and direct-drive the ESL with an OTL. Over a 35-year period, I have owned nothing but ESLs and driven them with either a Futterman-type amplifier or a Circlotron (Atma-sphere) amplifier. OTLs are particularly stable with an ESL load, vs any other common amplifier topology, solid state or tubes. (I've tried them all, but that's not the point. The point is based on the physics of the situation.) This is not to say that you personally are "wrong" in preferring your particular SE amplifier to your particular pair of Silvaweld OTLs.

As to heat, I have run six 6C33Cs per side in my Atma monoblocks, so I know what you are talking about. Now I run four 7241s per side. 7241s get even hotter, but it seems that fewer tubes trumps using slightly cooler tubes; the 7241 amplifiers do not drive me out of the room in summer.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.