Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Just saw your post

You did not complete your description of the cartridge type, "moving cartridge". I presume you refer to "LOMC" types. Yes, I do plan to try that. I am very interested to try the unique capability of the Klyne circuit to equalize the output of an LOMC into a 47K load, so you don't have to load down the cartridge to 100R or so to achieve a tame hf response. Stan Klyne tells me that my current phono section, after he completed his work, is "very nice" but still a step slightly below his latest max effort. But he indicated the difference between what I have and his best max effort would be narrowest with MM or high output types. I do plan to try it with my Urushi or the Ortofon MC7500, soon. But right now it is sounding so great with the Grace Ruby that I am loathe to change. I may mount the Ortofon in my RS Labs RS-A1 tonearm this weekend (the goofy looking Japanese tonearm), so I can run two tonearms on my Lenco.

When I re-capped the Klyne, and also when I built the Power Supply for it, I used ELNA Silmic II and Nichicon Muse electrolytics. So all those parts were new at the start of my listening. Plus Stan installed the new voltage regulators and new parts on the phono board. Per Stan's recommendation, I leave the PS power up 24/7, using the Mute switch as cut-out. Thus I have heard a steady improvement over the last week. It's really a kick now, and a great match with the Beveridges. All in all, the Klyne lives up to the legend.

Needless to say, the PS I built is way way overkill, a huge 250VA toroidal transformer, Schottky diodes, and a CLC filter. I like to think it gives my unit an advantage over others, but I can't know that.
I don't think any preamp I've ever heard will outperform the Atma MP1 with LOMCs, however.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Just saw your post - Lew 07:43:45 01/15/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.