Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

it is not the wire that needs to be thick :)

It is the insulation...at 7KV you only need like 30 mA to put 200 watts on the panel. so even if the cable serial resistance wold be 10 ohms the voltage drop on the cable would be negligible, a bigger problem would be the characteristic impedance of the cable at the higher frequencies. but that is all resolvable and a simple engineering problem. It would drive the cable nuts even more nuts that one could not change speaker cables :), In any case i would make such amps mono blocks with short cables connected to the backplate with a connector that would shut the apm down if the cable is disconnected, and would not allow physical removal till the panel is fully discharged. I know it would need some sort of control in the backplate. all that is solvable and can be made totally safe, the question is how much of an improvement would one get, and how much would it cost to build.

dee
;-D

True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.

quote by Kurt Vonnegut

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.