Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Where do you get 4 ohms?

With no audio step-up, the impedance of the panels is much, much higher than 4 ohms. In fact, I measure about 25 ohms at 1kHz using a 1:90 step-up with no RC network, which means that the intrinsic Z of the panel is way up there in the thousands. (I am thinking it would be 25R times the square of the turns ratio, or 8100 X 25.) With the Sound Lab crossover network, yes, Z is as low as 4 ohms, at certain frequencies. But even with their massive bass transformer, Z does rise at low frequencies way above 4 ohms; I think I got around 50R at 50Hz via the SL bass transformer.

However, your basic premise that increasing V necessitates an increase in power, all other things being equal, is of course correct. My only point was that I do not believe Power has to be anywhere near 200W. Because, for a big enough V swing, the current demand is nominal when you're driving the panels direct.

I edited this to change "your" into "you're" (you are). An error I commonly make in a first draft.

Edits: 01/01/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Where do you get 4 ohms? - Lew 14:43:45 01/01/14 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.