Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Sounds do disappear in thin air :)

Just kidding, sorta, but the capacitance of your panels must be marginally lower up there in them mountains. Since the multiplier for the dielectric contant of air is 1.00054 compared to vacuum, the lower the pressure the closer you get to 1. When you get to one you will hear nothing :). I did some calculating and it turns out for the 2350 sqin area and abut 0.15 in panel to stator distance, and having the two sides of the push-pull in series, the resulting capacitance is somewhere between 1500 and 1800 pf. which is very closed to the published value. There is also an interesting side observation that if the panel was not push pull there would be an asymmetric distortion with the displacement of the diaphragm, but the push-pull cancels it out, very clever, never thought of it. looking at the panels at high volumes, they move quite a bit, the capacitance is a linear function of the distance, so moving half a distance closer doubles the capacitance, at the same time the opposite side halves, the series value of course is not constant. I have not calculated forces, but because static force on a charge has a quadratic relationship to distance the push pull is nto entirely linear either. I am sure Dr. West has a precise model of the whole thing just for satisfying ones own curiosity, or hell just listens to the damned thing and ignores the mumbo jumbo.

dee
;-D
True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.

quote by Kurt Vonnegut

Edits: 06/18/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.