Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Atmasphere MA-2 impedance question

The credit should go to "Will" in Australia, aka "William" on the SLOG these days. He had the cojones to try removing all active and passive elements from the SL backplates and just run two audio transformers in parallel. I would never have thought it would work well, which is why I made my own measurements before even trying it. Then of course credit goes to Rob MacKinlay who actually builds that full-range 90:1 transformer. Crazy as he sounded, when Will first contacted me about his findings, I could not have been more ready to try a new approach, because I was thoroughly tired of having to use the Zero Autoformers and putting up with the pronounced midrange suck-out that I still could hear even with the Zeros in the circuit. Plus I knew intuitively that having the Zeros, the resistors, and the capacitors all in the audio path along with the bass and treble step-up transformers was not exactly the best way to maximize transparency. I was ready to consider buying another pair of speakers, which is part of the reason I bought those Beveridge 2SWs; had I known how well this new set-up with the 845PXs was going to work, I probably would not have done it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.