Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Addendum

Your mention of having a cap in the signal is a two edge sword. Very similar to my experience below:

Years ago, I went down the part of cutting off bass below 100 Hz on my Quads ELS and adding a Sub-woofer for everything below 100Hz. Yes, the system sounded better with bass on a macro level, but suffered in the micro level - meaning that the beauty of the Quad midrange is loss by adding a cap in the signal path.

I tried all types of caps, but none made my Quad ELS sound anywhere close to how it can sound without a cap.

I preferred playing my Quad ELS full range (despite amplification and SPL down sides) and matching my subs to the natural roll-off of my ELS. I have since moved on, as it has its compromises.

Very similar argument to what you had proposed. There are upsides and well as down sides of using capacitors. For me, capacitor sounds too obtrusive and should be avoided where ever possible.

Anyone who persist with ELS (and its many shortcomings) are in it for low level detail and its magical midrange, so I doubt your suggestion of a cap is a long term answer for this group of people.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.