Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Check the power tubes next

It is a tube problem. I smoked couple of power tubes before being cautious enough with known good tubes from the other mono block and sound output has been restored. Both tube failures occurred to right rear left bank socket resulting in an immediate severe flash upon turning on full power. Violence of the flash seemed more then just an arc over. I have this bad habit of not discarding suspect 6as7 tubes that I have culled out over time for noise, bias and offset adjustment problems. i eventually start to reuse these as time goes on thinking there might be a good one or two in the bunch. I checked out your visual tube inspection link and might now have better luck culling tubes in the future. Time for some new ones!

Aside from this apparent tube issue, the capacitor that appears to be slightly swollen and leaking or corroded? I presume this is a source of sound quality degradation and will only get worse. Could this be causing a minor persistent hum? Would Atma-sphere have the correct replacement 1600uf power supply capacitor which I could purchase. Is it possible a bad 6sn7 could cause power tube instability and or failure? I do not have a tube tester so resort to trial and error when issues arise.
Dennis

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.