Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

troll warning

Lew makes a good point as does 6AS7_6AS7. The Berning, while being a brilliant design, is also not an OTL. An OTL will not have semiconductors and a transformer (whether air core or iron core) in its output, in fact an OTL will not have any impedance matching devices other than the power tubes themselves. The Berning amps fail on all three counts. That does not take away from the amp itself though. Its just that it is simply incorrect to classify it as an OTL.

Berning admitted in a letter to Positive Feedback nearly 15 years ago that his design is not an OTL. His approach allows for Zero Hysteresis in the output transformer (hence the 'ZH' aspect of his model numbers). However he pointed out in his letter that it was difficult to explain the idea of zero hysteresis, but he found that people understood the idea of OTL, so he went with that. Fifteen years of marketing and arguing later, this fact has not changed.

I would challenge you on the preamp comment though: "Oh, no! Don't take me. Wait a little 'till the big Billy Goat Gruff comes. He's much bigger."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • troll warning - Ralph 09:57:03 02/15/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.