Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Gaga

From Documentation for David Berning ZH-230

The radio frequency re-mapping is implemented using special high-frequency power conversion techniques. The high-voltage, low-current tube impedance-plane is re-mapped to the high-current speaker impedance-plane through a special transformer at a constant RF carrier frequency of 250 kHz (500 kHz for the ZH230). Because the audio signal is riding on a carrier, it is not subject to parasitic elements of the transformer that would otherwise distort the audio signal. There is no low-frequency limit for this impedance conversion, and these amplifiers are dc-coupled, with the exception of a small, high-quality, dc-blocking capacitor at the input of the amplifier to prevent the amplification and application to the speaker of any dc that might be present at the input.

The impedance matching in the ZH amplifier is precisely determined by the effective turns ratio of the RF conversion transformers. Both the push and pull portions of the amplifier are handled in a symmetric fashion, as they are in a conventional transformer-coupled amplifier, and negative feedback is not required to force the positive-output current capability to be similar to the negative-output current capability.

---

And the objective performance for this Berning impedance transfer, using basically transmission line technology if I tried to put it in as simple words possible, is dynamite!

performance

---

I'm going to get (if they're cheap) two Gaga Guitar Amps, Milbert Amplifiers - a David Berning company, that operate on the same principle, and try then as mono-blocks.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Gaga - bjh 06:38:25 02/11/12 (20)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.