Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: How about an actual experiment?

Looking at the Atma-Sphere website pages for the S-30, M-60, MA-1, MA-2 and MA-3 the text in all cases says "Class A operation".

But that's not true.

Tremaine Audio-Cyclopedia 2nd Edition

Page 543 "What is a class A amplifier? An amplifier in which the grid-bias voltage is set to approximately one-half the cutoff voltage to obtain linear operation."

Page 604 "When operating as a single tube, class a, little distortion exists because the grid signal operates in the most linear portion of the dynamic characteristic."

None of the output tubes in Ralph's amplifiers operate this way.

What do you think I should do? What would you do?

Way back in the days of the ASOG forum this question came up and was never answered, at least not to my satisfaction.

Ask Kurt Strain about this issue. Paraphrasing Kurt "Tubes almost never cutoff completely. If a tiny leakage current is all it takes to call an amp Class A then all Class A/B amplifiers are Class A."

I like Ralph and I wish him the best.

My main focus here is to educate people.

I think it is Ralph who owes an apology to everyone who has read his website that says his amps are Class A, when they are not.

The link is to a very short paper I wrote years ago.

P.S. Challenging a claim or theory, in a scientific way, is a normal part of the scientific process.

Defending a claim or theory, in a scientific way, is a normal part of the scientific process.

But Ralph doesn't do that. He changes the subject. He tries to make it about me. ETC.

What would you have me do? I think I stayed on subject and just argued the science without getting personal. What else can I do?

Tre'
Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

Edits: 08/26/11 08/26/11 08/26/11 08/26/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.