Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Thinking about running my non-OTL Circlotron again

"By real Class A I mean that the two halves of the wave form for each triode are symmetrical.

IOW, by 'real class A' you mean class A1."

No, in a real Class A2 circuit the two halves of the wave form are symmetrical.

Non-symmetrical halves of the output waveform are indicative of Class A/B operation.

Even if the current never stops flowing completely in the 6as7g because it just that kind of tube, if there is no symmetry to the waveform then it's not Class A, not in my book.

Tremaine Audio-Cyclopedia 2nd Edition page 523 "The quiescent plate current is selected for a value in the most linear portion of the plate-current characteristic."

Page 543 "What is a class A amplifier? An amplifier in which the grid-bias voltage is set to approximately one-half the cutoff voltage to obtain linear operation."

Page 604 "When operating as a single tube, class a, little distortion exists because the grid signal operates in the most linear portion of the dynamic characteristic."

Tre'
Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Thinking about running my non-OTL Circlotron again - Tre' 14:30:04 08/24/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.