Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: You are absolutely right!

In conclusion, I think that, based on a careful case by case assessment, frequency selective feedback can be effective in improving audio performance.

Luca, I hope you see that in this quote we are in complete agreement, and that in fact that has been the point of my initial link, as well as the succeeding arguments.

I read about the GE study in a book, but so far I have not seen that anyone has published a report of it online, FWIW.

To be clear though, GE was saying that the 3rd, as well as the 2nd and 4th, are not regarded by the ear as irritating; it is the 5th, 7th and 9th where the problem lies. If you spend any time on the SET Asylum, you will find that that is a commonly-held viewpoint that is not unique to me. As your simulations show, these troublesome distortions seem to arise as result of the use of feedback.

It is for this reason that the cathode resistors as mentioned in the differential amplifier are not desirable- sure, they reduce lower orders (although the even orders will be canceled, so we are really only talking about the 3rd harmonic), but at the price of increasing the higher orders.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.