Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Maybe I am missing the point.....

I am assuming that it has something to do with language.

Had you been following along, then I doubt you would have said this:

And again, what the hell your statement "some CD players can exhibit so much inharmonic distortions" has to do with 'power paradigm high impedance"?

So I am assuming that either you did not read something, or read it and misinterpreted it based on a misunderstanding of the language.

To flesh things out a little, General Electric did a study in the 1960s, wherein they found that humans find odd-ordered harmonics to be objectionable, and very small amounts, less than 0.1% . By contrast, the same study showed that humans may not even notice lower ordered harmonics (2nd,3rd, 4th) until they get over 30%! The former is easy to demonstrate with a sine/square generator, an amp, a speaker and a VU meter.

If you want to positively contribute to this forum discussion please stick to the points at hand, don't ever assert: "low-ordered harmonics will make the amp sound 'warm' or 'full', perhaps even bloated in the bass, despite flat frequency response".

I *thought* this was common knowledge, and germane to the conversation- I refer you to Norman Crowhurst.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.